Monday, December 20, 2010

Simple boot warmer - for those extra freezy morning commutes

Having been commuting through the winter months for a couple of seasons - thought I'd share a simple little boot warmer I've been using when the temps get below 15º F.

Cost:

Roaster $ 22.00
Timer  $10.00

Electricity - not sure.  Runs for about 1 1/2 hours maybe twice a week during peak season.

Let's let the pictures do most of the the talking:


As you can see it's a pretty simple arrangement.  The timer kicks on the roaster at about 4:00 am and I head out the door at 6:00.  There are blocks of wood under the boots - keeping the boots from making contact with any of the inner surface - as that could cause unwanted meltage. Also I have flipped and used the liner as a lid - it leaves plenty of room around the boots - again preventing any surface contact.

The temp is set to roughly 135º so's not to cook the booties too much.  By the time I am ready to leave they are warm to the core.  My ride is 45-55 minutes and the result is most pleasant.

Ahhhhh...

No comments:

Post a Comment